• Hilsa ( or 8-10 pieces cut into 2”)
1 whole cleaned
• Yoghurt 1 cup
• Cinnamon & cardamom
powder 1 1/2 tsp
• Salt or adjust to your taste. 1 1/2 tsp
• Red chilli powder
(to give it a colour) 1/4 tsp
• Vinegar 1/4 cup
• Fried onion (crushed) 1
• Ginger & garlic paste 1 tsp
• Tomato paste 2 tbsp
• Hot water 1 cup
• A little coal
1. Marinade the Hilsa over night in the above ingredients.
2. If you are making a whole Hilsa then take a large kadhai and put the hilsa with it’s marination and pour the water over it and cook over low heat (like dum) for 2 1/2 hours.
3. If you are making it with pieces then put it in the pressure cooker and then pour the water over it. Cook up to 4-5 whistles and remove from heat.
4. When the Hisla has cooled down a little put the lit coal & drizzle it with a tbsp of oil and cover it with a tight lid for 20 min.
5. Allow the smoke to infuse in the Hilsa ﬁsh, then arrange it over a large dish and pour the left masala over it, decorate and serve.